Defensiveness. It is the response to protect the self from a PERCEIVED ATTACK (at times, it might indeed be a criticism).
It is quick.
It is often automatic.
But it doesn’t resolve our conflict, nor does it bring us closer to our friends, partners, or other key people in our life.
This episode focuses on answering a listener’s voicemail question – How to respond to their partner’s defensiveness!
The following is discussed:
- What is defensiveness?
- How to identify what defensiveness is in your relationship.
- Find the “why” to the defensiveness. Warning – I ask you to look at you too!
- Using the calm down method before returning to a discussion.
- What is meta communication with specific examples you can use.
- Understanding what is underneath the defensiveness
- An alternative way to respond to your partner in the moment.
- My last recommendation that if you are stuck, go seek the help of a licensed professional!
Want to read more about couples therapy? Check out my piece on Mother.ly about why you should go to couples therapy early.
Prefer to listen on iTunes? Just click here to access it now!
Pelvic Floor Health for All Women with Andrea Plitz
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
I would love for you to subscribe for my podcast – so you don’t miss an episode! What I would love more than anything is to hear from you. I would be so grateful if you left me review on iTunes. I love hearing what you have to say about the episode, but also so that others who might benefit from listening to this podcast can find it! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review.” I can’t wait to hear from you!